Sunday, February 27, 2011

Quilt Show

I did manage to escape the house of illness for a few hours on Saturday.  I went to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival.  I haven't been to a quilt show in a very long time, and it was great.  After walking around for 4 hours my feet really hurt, but I was inspired to work on some new projects.  I also spent some money, because the vendors were spectacular and there is not many good quilt shops around here. 

I was a little dissapointed that most of the quilts were machine quilted, but they were all beautiful. These are some of my favorites.... They are not great pictures, but it was very crowded and it was hard to get anough room around you to get a good picture.

This one was cool, they acually quilted a food service apron on her, and the food on the plate was 3 dimensional and very realistic.
 This was machine quilted, but the detail on each of the ships was amazing.
 This I just liked for the color, it had a dark background, but the bright colors for each of the blocks and the borders drew your attention. 
 This one I liked just because it was fun.  It would look great  for 4th of July.
 This was a variation of a white on white and was hand quilted with colored thread for parts of it.  The reverse applique in the middle really made you look at it several times.
 This one I just liked because of the details in the flowers.  The whole quilt re-used too many of the same blocks to really look creative, but each of the blocks was well done.
 This just made me smile, not many people would make worms look cool and fun, but the person succeeded.  It was a beautiful and fun quilt.
 This quilt was copied from a puzzle that I have seen before.  This woman took the picture of the puzzle and turned it into a quilt.The background is a watercolor technique, but the quilts and balloons are pieced and then appliqued.  The overall quilt was beautiful.
 This one was a collaboration from a quilters guild.  The girl and her outfits each have circles of velcro, so you could actually dress the girl.  Each woman in the guild made an article of clothing.  It would be a fun toy to have done a little simpler and placed in a children's classroom or a girls bedroom.
There were a lot of quilts with 3-D elements, and I don't usually like those, but this one was really pretty.

Now comes my favorite, I have started to do needle felting, and have done some little needle felting projects, but now I have a new goal.  This woman used wool suiting fabric and created a crazy quilt with a combination of techniques. 
 The background is all wool suiting fabric, and some of the animals are simple machine applique, with the wool suit fabric.  Some of the other animals are needle felted onto a machine applique piece and then all of the little pieces are pieced together.
 Then she did all sorts of hand embroidery to finish off all the seams and add flowers and details to the entire quilt.  In the end hers was a little busy, but crazy quilts tend to be busy.  It was just beautiful and I loved it. 
  Now I need to gather all my stuff, and I will do the needle felting, convince my mom to piece it and then convince my sister to do the hand embroidery.  Maybe it will get done in about 20 years. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the crazy quilt, and the worm one, plus the 4 of July...when I go to quilt show's less than 10 are hand quilted.
Doof